Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pet Friendly Rugs?!?!


The time has come to to rid my house of one of my favorite rugs. As most of you know, Andrew and I are the proud parents of three four-legged children: Marv, Jarka and Remy.

As most of you also know, Jarka is a 3lb rescue with extreme scoliosis and the inability to tinkle outside on a regular basis. Needless to say, against my better judgement, I bought two cream damask rugs with the best intentions of keeping watch on them at all times. As of yesterday, it seems as though my master plan has gone to the dogs. Or should I say, has gone to dog pee....

Yesterday, I happened to notice a "Jarka puddle" in the dinning room that was partially on the rug and partially on the NEW wood floor. I lifted up the rug to further explore the situation at hand, and BANG - I was hit with the extremely potent odor of stale dog pee. FAB.

Andrew and I rolled the rug up tonight, and thankfully, the floors under the rug seem fine.

What isn't so fine is my RUG. It is a wool/poly blend and completely ruined :(

As I started looking at replacement options, I couldn't help but think "there must be a better way!". I can't imagine that there isn't a "pet friendly" rug out there....

The more I searched, the more I came across two options:

1. A chic indoor/outdoor that could be rinsed off outside with soap and water
2. FLOR carpet tiles

The FLOR tiles seem pretty nice, but I wasn't sure if they'd have options that would work with my decor. BOY was I wrong! They've got TONS of options: traditional, modern, transitional - they even have an entire line of textural patterns.  

The prices are decent, ranging from $8 - $28 per tile. For a 5x7 rug they say you'll need 12 tiles...

Plus, I like the idea of being able to customize my rug, as well as the ability to switch out a square in the event of a potty accident.

After shopping around, I've picked a few favorites. The first one is my top pick, followed by the second. I don't think the third one would work in our house; however, I do think it is a nice option for a more modern home.

http://www.flor.com/interlaced-pearl.html

http://www.flor.com/pretty-promise-palm.html

http://www.flor.com/lasting-grateness-titanium.html

Would you use FLOR carpet tiles in your home??!?!?

Some light reading on how to make your home a bit more pet friendly:

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating-basics/9-tips-for-a-chic-pet-friendly-home/index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment